Can a child legally be placed with a relative, if that person is an illegal alien with no identifying documents?

ACT's Response

I am unaware of any law that prohibits such a placement. Laws concerning immigration differ state by state. Obviously, the purpose of child protection laws is to have children placed with family first. However, there are several extra-legal questions that occur to me. Would the relative put himself/herself in jeopardy by coming forward? If deported, would the relative take the child with him or her? Check with a group in your state that is supportive of undocumented persons. Then ask yourself: What is best for the child? Good luck in making a hard decision.

Originally posted

November 8, 2011 - 7:59am

Last updated

November 10, 2011 - 10:43am