Bonding is a significant reciprocal attachment which both parties want and expect to continue and which is interrupted or terminated at increased peril to the parties involved.
References and Court Cases
- ACT: adoptioninchildtime.org
- ASFA (1997) The Adoption and Safe Families Act
- Eliot, Lise. (2000) What's Going on in There? : How the Brain and Mind Develop in the First Five Years of Life
- Healy, J. M. (2004) Your child's growing mind: Brain development and learning from birth to adolescence. New York: Broadway Books.
- Kenny, James and Lori Groves (2010) Bonding and the Case for Permanence. Indianapolis: ACT Publications.
- Nolte, John. (2008) The Human Brain: An Introduction to its Functional Anatomy. Philadelphia: Mosby.
- Schwartz, Jeffrey and Sharon Begley (2003) The Mind and the Brain: Neuroplasticity and the Power of Mental Force. New York: HarperCollins.
- Seung, Sebastian (2012) Connectome: How the Brain's Wiring Makes Us Who We Are. New York: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.
- Shonkoff, J. P., & Phillips, D. A. (2000) From neurons to neighborhoods: The science of early childhood development. Washington, D.C.: National Academy Press.
- Sporns, Olaf (2011) Networks of the Brain. Cambridge, Mass: MIT Press.
- ZERO TO THREE. (2009) Brain development: Frequently asked questions. Retrieved May 2009 from www.zerotothree.org
- Zigler, Edward, Matia Finn-Stevenson, and Nancy Hall (2004) The First Three Years and Beyond. Chicago: Donnelley & Sons.
Appellate Court Decisions Favoring Bonding
- Alaska (1982) Carter v. Brodrick, 144 P.2d 850, 853 n.2
- Alaska (1999) Todd v. Todd, 989 P. 2d 141, 143
- Alaska (2003) In re Adoption of Bernard A. , 77 P. 3d 4
- Colorado (2004) In re E.L.M.C. 100 P.3d 546
- Colorado (2012) In re B.B.O. 277 P.3d 818
- California (2004) Fresno County Dept. of Children & Family Services v. Sup. , 122 Cal. App. 4th 626
- Indiana (2003) Gerweck v. Schoenradt, 793 N.E. 2d 1054
- Kansas (2004) In the Interest of D.C. , 32 Kan. App. 2d 962
- Maine (2001) In re Annie A. , 2001 ME 105
- Maine (2001) In re Kayla M. , 2001 ME 166
- Missouri (2002) In re C.G.L. v. McDonald County Juvenile Office, 63 S.W. 3d 693
- New York (2009) K.B. v. J.R. 26 Misc.3d 465
- New York (2011) Pettaway v. Savage, 87 A.D. 3d 796, 928 N.Y. S2d 869
- Pennsylvania (2001) In the Interest of C.J.R. , 782 A. 2d 568
- South Dakota (2008) Clough v. Nez 759 N.W. 2d 297
- Tennessee (2000) In re S.B. , Tenn. App. LEXIS 308
- Washington (2002) In re Dependency of J.S. , 111 Wn. App. 796
- Washington DC (2011) In re K.D., 26 a.3d 722